BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Short Term Memory

Politicians are betting on Americans having a short term memory when I comes to their reckless behavior, so I'm doing my part to remind my small corner of the world why it is so critical right now (while votes are being made on bills that don't even exist) to stay engaged. Keep calling your senators and your representative. Just some food for thought to motivate:

The government now owns General Motors, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, American International Group and partially owns Citigroup and Bank of America. It's been estimated that they own or control businesses that generate one third of the United States economy. I'll round it down to 30% being generous.

Healthcare is 18% of the economy.

I keep seeing an estimate that 8% of the economy will be controlled through Cap and Trade. The last person I heard say it was Congresswoman Michelle Bachmann on Glenn Beck's radio show.

I'll even do the math for you: 30 + 18 + 8 = 56% of the economy controlled by the Government. 56% of what was private wealth a year ago would be government.

It is fully expected that the healthcare bill (draft) that has already been voted on and now being rewritten behind closed doors will be the first step to a government run healthcare for the United States. As dreadful as I think that will be regarding healthcare, the bigger picture is even more important.

Healthcare and Cap and Trade together mean the end of our free market society. I'm hoping to motivate, not scare or depress. The battle has been going on for so long that it's starting to feel like old news, which is good for Democrats who are tired of hearing negative feedback from citizens. They would love to pass this nonsense in peace. I still believe that American citizens hold the keys here if they will stay involved for the long haul.

0 comments: