BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Intolerance & Divisiveness



I've been seeing this story all over the news for the past few days and just NEED to clear my head. The scoop seems to be that Miss California pretty much lost the Miss USA pageant this weekend because she said that she did not support gay marriage. *Personally, I was not impressed at all with how she answered the question. She was probably a little tongue tied to have to deal with the subject matter at such a critical time in the pageant though, so I'll give her a break. The backlash has been huge. Amazing really. Quite the litmus test for where our country is heading.

She has been called every name in the book for her answer. Answer. Everyone is going ape over the fact that she would be so divisive, intolerant, and overall unrepresentative of the USA. Last I checked the majority of Americans given the opportunity to vote on gay marriage were still saying no. Further, nobody seems to be asking why this completely controversial and altogether divisive question was ever asked. And why can't anybody tolerate her answer? The aggressive "think how we think or else" vibes floating around are astounding. Who's intolerant here? Who is divisive? Hmmm.

*I did not actually watch the pageant in it's entirety - just the clips of the controversy.

2 comments:

The Schroeder Family said...

Totally agree! I guess she should have stuck with the standard answer "I just want world peace" and everyone would have been happy. Good for her for standing up for what she believes.

Mom of 2 Cuties said...

I do agree that she could of been a little bit clearer with her answer rather than saying, "opposite marriage?"..whatever that is?! I agree that she does not deserve to be called every bad name in the book for speaking her opinion, even though that was not exactly what the question was asking. And I agree, why ask a hot topic question and not be ready for a variety of answers! You asked Perez Hilton, deal with it!