BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Power of Positive Thinking

I think some happy thoughts amidst the insanity are in order:

1. Rasmussen Reports - "One week after the House of Representatives passed the health care plan proposed by President Obama and congressional Democrats, 54% of the nation's likely voters still favor repealing the new law."

Wow, when I watch NBC the reporters seem so naively fascinated that there are people out there who don't understand how great this bill is. Sometimes they even furrow a brow and ask a very "serious" and "pointed" leading question so that the guest can give one of their 12 repeat answers. You know the ones we keep hearing that highlight the importance of this government takeover to all of us? Then I start to think for just a second that maybe I'm crazy. And maybe I'm alone in my thoughts. Nope. We are not.

2. Again from Rasmussen (since I was there anyway) - A national telephone survey finds that 52% of U.S. voters believe the average member of the Tea Party movement has a better understanding of the issues facing America today than the average member of Congress. Only 30% believe that those in Congress have a better understanding of the key issues facing the nation.

I have written about the Tea Party before and I'll say it again: they are the next best thing to a 4th of July party without the lemonade, barbecue, and fireworks. The people I've been with at every Tea Party I've gone to are some of the most patriotic people I've ever met. The only thing unusual about them is their passion, their concern, and the fact that they are getting out and doing something.

3. The Texas Board of Education - I'm so sick of political correctness and all of the nonsense it has produced. Apparently so is the Texas Board of Education. A strong conservative voting bloc within the board has held true to their convictions. Liberals call their proposed amendments to the latest social studies text up for renewal "conservative" but I argue they are mainstream. One of my favorite proposals is to add American Exceptionalism to the texts. From one of the board members, Don McLeroy:

"The issue that's most important to me, I guess, I'll be making an amendment about American exceptionalism. I'd like to add that to the U.S. history. And what I see is American exceptionalism is it's American values, the values of the individual, the values that we have of the limited government, that those things that have made us great, have made us different from the rest of the world. I don't want to be just like the rest of the world. I don't want to share the world's values. America's different. Our students need to understand that."
I can honestly say I don't KNOW a person who doesn't believe this. People who don't should not live here - they are the ones sucking us dry. All of the proposed amendments will be posted online for public viewing in April before the vote in May. I will post a link to this TRANSPARENT process for you when it is available.

Oh, and why is this important? Almost 90% of all textbooks in the country are impacted by what Texas purchases because of their volume. See, it pays to be the size of a small country! This is how the battles are won - one at a time.

Hopefully these little tidbits give your mind some ease!


0 comments: